Wednesday, February 18, 2015

lonely hearts club party

Well I've managed to keep this dinner party thing going, at least for a second month now. February is always an odd month. I feel like Valentines day is so all powerful and dominant that I traditionally run away from it. This year I decided to lean in, but in my own, slightly different way. I was painting and listening to Beatles records when I got my idea for this party, and the rest of it came together super easy. It's a lonely hearts club party!

I pulled out this old over sized pinata I'd made last year and added a black banner. Then I looked through my fabric box and pulled the gray sequin and gold fabrics for the table. The mini hearts were made from crepe paper and cocktail skewers and the candles were just from a 100 pack of Ikea tea candles which I wrapped with scraps of gold wrapping paper from the holidays. 


Since I was using just white dinner plates with no additional dishes I decided to come up with something for the napkin and silverware that also served as a place card. I cut card stock into two inch strips and wrote the names, then I folded them and glued them together so that they fit around the folded napkin and arched in the front to accommodate the silverware. I actually think it turned out quite nice. Simple but pretty.
The budget for this party almost nonexistent, but this is what I spent:
napkins fabric..................1.99
tealights...........................3.50
crepe paper......................1.50
jars (favors).....................3.00
skewers............................1.50
total.................................11.49
The napkins were made from a sheet I got at the thrift store. I washed it and cut it down and hemmed it. I've found this is an excellent way to make napkins and table cloths in neat colors and prints for almost nothing. All of this came together very quickly, it took maybe an hour to make and set up. If I hadn't already had the pinata pre made it would have been several more, so I guess this just supports me weird hoarding thoughts when I actually said a few months ago, I may need this again later.
So that's February's party, I'll be back tomorrow with favors and maybe the cocktail too.















No comments:

Post a Comment