Tuesday, July 29, 2014

further north

I went up to Seattle this weekend to visit with family thus the radio silence. It was beautiful, perfect weather, but more than anything it was so excellent to be in a house full of my family. Here's a few snaps I took while I was there, but mostly I was out enjoying it!

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

on being productive

I had a very productive sewing weekend (which resulted in my floor looking like the photo below) and was able to make a few new things to wear, which is always exciting. Of course the strange gray but muggy SF weather isn't necessarily cooperating with my wishes, but I was mostly sewing for a beach vacation I've got coming up. It all started when I realized that my fabric drawers no longer closed, and were, in fact, a tripping hazard to my clumsy self, and therefore I  NEEDED to sew something to fix the problem. I finished up a few things in fun printed cottons (and have several more cut out that just need to be sewn together) as well as experimenting with a few new patterns in some fun and super colorful jersey knits I've had lying around for a while. These are just a couple of pictures I remembered to take throughout the whirlwind that was the last few days.

Monday, July 21, 2014

more lettering

I've been in a stash-busting mood recently. When I went from one giant drawer full of fabric and such to two, well I was able to shrug it off. But when the drawers no longer closed all the way, I knew it was time to get something done. I spent a lot of my weekend sewing some new summery clothes out of stuff I've been hoarding forever, but earlier in the week I tackled an idea I had for a felt project.

This is what my desk looked like when I was considering a few different color combinations and letter options....
...and this is what I ended up with. Please forgive that it is slightly crooked (I actually think that makes it look more exuberant) as this is like a full color doodle of sorts. It was so much fun and has made me smile every time I walk by, which seems about right!

Friday, July 18, 2014


Someones birthday at the office, again. Seems to be a lot this summer. This time we had ice cream sundaes instead of cake which made me very happy!

Thursday, July 17, 2014

tone on tone

I've been playing around with white on white three dimensional "work" for lack of a better descriptor recently. I feel like my bedroom is really just a big white studio/gallery that happens to have my bed in it. And I try to organize and style it as such. When I took down the paper chains I made for the Christmas holiday that have been hanging on the mirror in the living room, I didn't want to throw them away, or just leave them on a pile, so I pinned them up into the corner to the right of my bed. I like the way they looked like a waterfall.

Then I was doodling around at my desk with the very last of my heavy printmaking paper from my school days stash and I started cutting out branch/antler shapes. Then this happened...
I created a wire armature and adhered the branches, then I started making a bunch of folded leaves and adding them as well. The circle is still growing, I figure I will continue it until I run out of paper or perhaps beyond. It seems like the perfect bedroom/gallery artwork. Simple, subtle (rare for me) but also very fun to look at. It's also super wonderful to photograph, the shadows are superb.

And I thought I'd throw in some more pictures of the paper chains which started it all as well!

Monday, July 14, 2014

the hunt party

I helped out with a pretty spectacular birthday party this weekend. My best friend planned a scavenger hunt in which she was competing against her boyfriend who has his birthday just a week away from hers. We spent weeks (possibly months) leading up to the date, discussing and strategizing and developing the rules. We met up at my house at the start, to go over the rules and pick teams (schoolyard rules) and get ready to head out. I did some quick day of decorations so it looked more festive than my average everyday living room. I made the banner out of tissue and construction paper I had in my party box, and he balloons were a bunch of random colors but i liked the way they looked stuck to the big mirror on the wall.

I've been desperately wanting to try out all of these citrus jello shots I've been seeing around the blogs, so I used this as an excuse to make some lemon drop jello shots. You know, for vitamin C, while people were waiting. Making these shots turned out to be way more time consuming that I had anticipated, but also totally worth it as they tasted amazing and were so cute. I will totally be doing these again in the future. Maybe for the start of a dinner party? Classy jello shots, who knew....

I also went a bit crazy making swag for the hunt participants. My friend made laminated scavenger hunt lists, and I created team crests for each of them. There were two large full color flags for putting in photos (we had to take photos of the items on the list with the team flag to prove we were really there) as well as many smaller ones for sneakier photo taking. I also made these tiny shield toothpicks for the jello shots, and team pins so that players could identify which team they were on. It was tons of fun and we all got incredibly competative and I think this was one of the most creative party ideas I've ever had the pleasure of working on. Happy birthday and cheers!