Thursday, July 30, 2015

July tea party

This months party was really really easy to pull together. As I said a the beginning of the week, I grabbed stuff that I had until there was a sort of place setting that I liked the look of, and then I made decorations to go with that. In this case the yellow teapot and bumble bee honey pot really got me going on a honey and flower themed tea party. 
The background was a grid of paper hexagons, a bumble bee pinata and some paper flowers. All very quick to put together but I will do tutorials for both soon. 
For the place settings I layered the white plates, floral bowls and then added the saucers and overturned teacups on top of them. I wanted to save the middle of the table for the tea service, as it were, plus I liked how the bowls looked with just the scalloped edge peeking around.The tablecloth is a polka dot sheet from the thrift store and the napkins I made forever ago when a favorite rose print sheet died and I wasn't ready to throw it away entirely. I used my same gold flatware again because gold just of course the yellow tone matched the setting so well.
The melamine sugar bowl and pitcher were from a set I found in a junk box on the corner when I was in college. Most of the multi colored teacups have been appropriated for all manner of other projects but these two were so nice I kept them around for whenever I happen to have a tea party (not often enough in my opinion) and of course they go so well with my yellow tea set (found by my mother) and the bumblebee honey pot (same-she really is the queen of thrifting!)
The little hexagon favor boxes were decorated with yellow paper and pink ribbon (filled with honey candies) and the extra large paper flowers were intended as placecards (I was going to write guests names on the leaves) but I liked them so much as is that I left them blank. However they would of course be simple to use in that way. The cake topper was a paper base with crepe paper and mini bees made out of tiny pom poms. I'll do a tutorial on this as well.
The cost broke down as such:
yellow crepe paper...............................................................................$2.50
yellow and pink construction paper.....................................................$3.00
black pipe cleaners...............................................................................$2.00
hex boxes.............................................................................................$5.00
total......................................................................................................$12:50
Once again, I have tons of general crafty things, glue, scissors and various dishes, so by using stuff I have this was very inexpensive. Even if I'd purchased everything new though it wouldn't have cost a lot more. 

I will try to get to the crafts from this one quickly, and until then I'm brainstorming ideas for the next party. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment