Monday, April 27, 2015

quick fixes- record cabinet


A few months ago my roomate was redoing his bedroom and dragged a low cabinet out into the hallway. He said it was not the right scale and I asked him what he was going to do with it. Already I had some ideas himself and as it turned out he was intending to just leave it on the curb I snatched it up. I traded it in for the tall fabric covered consol that was in the far corner of the living room, and it turned out it was exactly the right size to hold records. So it's been hanging out for about two months now, and while it is great functionally, it stores a bunch of games too and also makes a nice surface for some of my bigger plants, and I find that I play the records much more now that I can actually see them, it definitely wasn't winning in the looks department. it was square a dark and boring. 
I considered painting it briefly but no particular color sprung to mind. And then I thought, what if I covered it with something? So I pulled out some marble contact paper I had on hand and wrapped the top and sides of the piece, as well as covering the front and already I like it so much more. I am still considering extending the contact paper into the shelves but for now I am enjoying the contrast. The whole thing took about twenty minutes and just one roll of contact paper so it proved to be an exceedingly simple fix.



No comments:

Post a Comment