Wednesday, December 3, 2014

fixing things and thrift hauls

I've been working through my mending pile over the holiday weekend and the preceding week and it was finally the below jackets turn. It was my favorite for a few years, it's faux leather and I got it at a thrift store for a couple bucks, but after going to every bar with me in the city (it's a good bar jacket, just think of all the pockets!) it was looking battered, and had a big mark/tear on one sleeve.
So I decided to see if it would work as a vest and it did!. I unpicked the seams on the sleeves and then used the material from the unharmed sleeve to make binding tape of a sort for the arm holes. I also patched a few bits of lining that were fraying (I'm telling you this thing has been around the block a few times) and now it's ready for it's second (or third?) life.
Also I made a well timed stop into my neighborhood thrift store recently with a friend and it turned out we'd stumbled into some sort of massive sale. All the clothes were just $2. We dug through the racks for a few hours before we had to force ourselves to stop because we just kept finding amazing things. I got five sweaters for ten dollars!!!!!! among other things. It was very satisfying and good to know my thrift karma is still strong. Now if I can just finish fixing the rest of the mending pile....

No comments:

Post a Comment