Thursday, June 25, 2015

making it work

Cleaned up my living room some and it looked so nice I had to take pictures. I've really been feeling a less is more style in this room recently, possibly because such a high traffic space, or because I can see it from my desk while I work but I am enjoying the calmer space. I recovered the window seat in a white print fabric which just makes it seem even sunnier and more inviting, and removed some layers from the couch and theater chairs.  I also decided to try hanging my diy wedding blanket over the covered mirror because it's so pretty I like looking at it every time I walk by. 
I've taken to reading and drinking tea in the window seat, and even sitting at the table to eat sometimes. I think with the chaos of my work space I am really craving some more peaceful spaces so this is working for me. I removed all of the layered colorful paintings and prints from the wall by the couch, replacing them with this paper wreath I made last summer which is much quieter and more peaceful. I think that because I love the wall color so much (gray owl as recommended by pretty much everyone on the internet) and the room is already broken up so much by doorways and windows, that I prefer to have expanses of it open and uncovered when I can. The fern is my new plant baby that I picked up because of a sale at the hardware store. 
The bar got some tidying up as well, mostly just consolidating all of the liquor bottles (and taking inventory of all of the ones that I need to get refills for as my supply has been severely depleted by festivities) and reorganizing the glasses to fit better. I always see pictures of bar carts that are so free and open and then I realize that they have almost no glassware stored in them and it makes sense. However, as I can't seem to stop collecting vintage cocktail glasses when I find them (often) this will just have to be where they live. It might be time to design and build a new house bar though, something customized to better fit all my bits and bobs.The splattery ink piece which previously hung above the theater seats took the spot of the chalkboard menu at least for now, and I think it makes for a nice moment.






These adjustments took very little time and cost me nothing (other than the purchase of the new plant I suppose) but have made the space so much more enjoyable for me. I love it when I am able to just use what I have to make my apartment work better for me, and feel more like a home.







No comments:

Post a Comment