Thursday, October 2, 2014

paint it black



My closet has always been a fun space. Having a room sized closet, or one could even call it a dressing room, is a wonderful new experience that I'm not sure I will ever be able to live without now. Because this is such a luxurious extra space, since I moved to this apartment I have enjoyed playing with the space, indulging in my more whimsical or even ridiculous ideas. And while I had a good time with my cotton candy pink closet for a year, It was getting old. I was feeling frustrated that it clashed with certain clothes, or really just ended up looking too busy.
So I made a change on somewhat of a whim due to an excellent paint sale, and went from this:


To this. 

When I said I was painting my closet black I got mostly concerned feedback from friends but in my head, black would be exactly what I was looking for. I didn't want something colorful, I didn't want to do white (too bright and also would be to bland with the attached bedroom/studio all white) and the living room is gray and gosh darn it I wanted a black dressing room! So I went for it and I couldn't be happier. It is exactly what I wanted and because the paint only goes up to the molding and there are two doorways, a window and plenty of trim, it's really not dark at all, in fact it's fairly bright still. But as I had hoped black is the perfect backdrop for all my colorful clothes and various strange bits and pieces that I've added to this room.
It's like a putting a nice frame on artwork, it just make it look more finished, less crazy clutter-y and everything goes with it. I've been having lots of fun with art and accessories against the walls, and everything just seems fresh and exciting. I'm not one to wear a lot of black clothes, but I could totally see painting a lot of spaces black. And now, here's a bunch of random corners and bits that I couldn't help taking pictures of because they are just so pretty!






No comments:

Post a Comment