Monday, April 14, 2014

Tart+quiche

Yesterday I went to the grocery to pick up a few things for the week. Blackberries were on sale and the plums looked so pretty so I picked up a few thinking I could bake something. I made a simple almond crust and pressed it into the sweetest mini tart pans that my mom found for me. Then I mixed up a filling of plums, blackberries and the juice and zest from this Meyer lemon I found on my counter. But the tarts looked a little bare so I mixed up an egg and some milk with vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and poured it over the fruit filling, thinking it would be sort of like a sweet quiche if it worked, and threw them in the oven.

Within minutes my whole house smelled fantastic. The lemon mixed with the other fruits and the warm vanilla baking smell of the crust and filling. I took them out of the oven when the egg filling had cooked through and let them cool.

I took my first bite cautiously, knowing I could have ruined everything with my last minute addition, but I shouldn't have been worried at all. This dessert is a delicious monster, it would be perfect for breakfast (in fact that's what I did this morning) and the fruits could easily be changed and adapted based on what's in season (I imagine raspberries, cherries, pears, apricots). There are only two questions I have. One, what to call a tart and quiche hybrid? And second, who is going to help me eat them, whatever they are called?!





No comments:

Post a Comment