Wednesday, October 28, 2015

a slightly spooky dinner party

If you happen to check out this space at all regularly you must have noticed I'm not around much. I am currently working on a big project that's taking up all of my time and focus and so I'm not doing as much other work, let alone jobs around the apartment so there hasn't really been much of anything to share here. It's probably going to continue to be pretty sporadic around here through January but I will pop in whenever I have something I can share. Including a party for October!

I just couldn't leave off without doing something for this month so I gave myself two hours and whatever supplies I had in the house to put this together
I started with color pallet. I wanted to go almost all white, with bits of gray and black and then some sort of color for a centerpiece. I layered some lace on top of a white tablecloth with white napkins and vintage silver flatware.
I set each place with a large smooth white rectangular plate (thank you mom!) and smaller gray textured plate, and the scull party favor and the matchbook place cards. The glasses are vintage and  for a centerpiece I added a bunch of apples and small animal bones on top of the lace runner. 



The cake was topped with simple bat shapes cut out of black card stock and googly eyes both glued to wooden skewers. I made another cake stand out of a plate and polka dot bowl (I'm loving the layered dish cake stand-so easy) The backdrop was made out of white and gray honeycombs and some larger paper bats. 




















I got the sculls at a dollar store and spray painted them white and added the tea candles, then melted wax around the edge to drip down the sides. I covered mini matchboxes with black paper and glued on more googly eyes so they looked a bit monster-ish. The names were written on vellum with ink



Like I said, this was all stuff I had on hand but if I were to price out the few things that could have been bought special it would still be super inexpensive.
Supplies
honeycombs......................................................................................$12
sculls.................................................................................................$4
googly eyes.......................................................................................$2
total...................................................................................................$16
I've always wanted to do a more grown up cocktail style Halloween party and while it wasn't in the cards time wise this year, I will be storing away these pictures for inspiration and hopefully next year I can make it happen.





No comments:

Post a Comment