Monday, August 24, 2015

Kitchen progress

The kitchen is the room in my apartment that I would most like to change. However, as a renter, I am fairly limited to what I can do. Of course, I feel very blessed to have full reign to paint and change so much of my apartment, but in reality, this is a kitchen that has been treated very poorly for years, and therefore, the best solution would probably be to rip it out and start from scratch. With that off the table though, I did have to try out whatever else was available to me.



As you can see from these pictures, the kitchen has been painted many many times in it's long history, and not painted well, or correctly. The doors of the cabinets should have been removed and sanded before they were repainted each time, but instead the culprit just painted over everything, and now it's all so thick it's impossible to remove any of the hardware without some sort of power tools. And as there's a super high chance some or all of these layers of paint have lead in them, sanding wasn't really even an option, too toxic. So I decided that if the doors wouldn't close all the way, and the finish was going to be uneven, and the hardware wasn't exactly lined up, I could at least put a fresh coat of paint over it all so that it would be clean and true white as opposed to the above pictured layered mess, and I would be (hopefully) safe from flakes of paint drifting down into my granola in the morning. I got a can of Benjamin Moore in Chantilly Lace (the same white I used for all the trim in the house, including the kitchen) and covered everything in two coats. Luckily the coverage is excellent and I was technically painting over another white of sorts, or at least all the colors were light, so I was able to achieve a good even bright white.

It might look a bit chaotic here but it's already a significant improvement. Of course the weird tile counter tops are now more beige than the cabinets but I can't win them all. Next, I am working on a solution for the cabinet fronts, to hide the jumbled mess in the cabinets, as well as the accent wall and of course, most important and impactful of them all...... the floors!






No comments:

Post a Comment