Monday, June 2, 2014

a pretty gold distraction



I started a project this weekend that isn't quite done which means I can't photograph it yet. So in the meantime, here's something else I did a while ago that  I don't think I mentioned at all.
I've had this old dorm style 'steamer trunk' since, well, the dorms. It's about 7 years old and has been in every place I have since the start of college. I've painted the outside a few times, but all of the different hardware and shapes made it next to impossible and overall, it just never looked very good.
So when there was a super sale and the hardware store and I was able to score some gold spray paint for about $2 a can I decided that it was time to do something about this ugly monster. I mean it was so useful for storage, why not make it a bit more attractive?
And after an hour up on the roof it went from this:

(which yes, also showcases the old -very neon- hallway color) to this giant gold beauty:























It was a super easy project, really just patients and four bottles of spray paint. And waiting for the wind to die down. Honestly, I'd say that the hardest part was probably sneaking it up and down the stairs from the room hoping I didn't run into an neighbors. Also difficult was waiting for it to fully dry before tossing stuff on it and enjoying just how......GOLD it was!
And while I love it as just a pretty seat of sorts complete with furry throw and stack of magazines, I'm actually thinking it would be the perfect place to put the giant new printer/scanner that just arrived. That thing is like a mini-deathstar of an appliance and I think it would look better perched on this shiny gold trunk.



No comments:

Post a Comment